Thursday, May 21, 2015

Time Flies When You're On The Run... A Tues,Wed,Thurs Recap

Tuesday: This day would have to be my favorite so far in reference to art and camaraderie amongst my peers. I believe that we've come to value the experience of each moment rather than rushing through each activity and tour; at least that's my point of view. The hours in the days are really to starting speed up as well as how fast we are covering new information. It's Tuesday which means it's one week from our farewell dinner. I'm going to have to make the most of the rest of the days in Italy. I visited Florence again today, yet this experience consisted of visiting multiple museums that houses some of the most famous and popular Renaissance paintings and sculptures. In the first museum we visited, I was able to vividly look at the transition of the time period by the color, depth, and images in the painting. I am now understanding the information Kirk is drilling into our heads. In the Uffizi, which is now a museum but previously a three tiered offices space of the Medicee family. I was able to directly see the implementation of individualism after visiting the area that had three of the popular Madonna Enthroned paintings side by side. The biggest advancement in the art was the expression of emotion done through detail. I learned also that during the Renaissance death was one of the most reverenced and illustrated focuses on the lustrous depictions of the crucifixion, the glamor of the Medicee family sarcophaguses, and the creation of David symbolizing the death and defeat of the giant, Goliath. The David was one amazing sight (as it was divinely inspire) to see as I've only seen the sculpture in textbooks. The realistic vains, deep look, furrowed eyebrows, are all components that make the sculpture so great. After we left Florence, we headed back home to Arrezzo for a family dinner to enjoy our time as tomorrow is the last day in Arrezzo.
Wednesday: With today being the last day in Arrezzo, Kirk gave us the final history of Arrezzo with a 2 hour tour of the cathedrals and basilicas. The churches were used as a place to create community. We also learned that Arrezzo was one of the first Christian cities outside of Rome. Arrezzo holds a lot of history that we were fortunate enough to be exposed to as it could have remained submerged under layers of limestone like the Romans and Etruscans when ,in the 1560's, the Medicee family definitively destroyed the city. This tour was followed by a class period on activism where we capitalized the main correlations between the UnitedStates and Italy. Those correlations came from the fact that both countries are in debt, are governmentally deadlocked, and have low unemployment rates for recent college graduate students. I believe that it is important that we truly figure out the reasoning behind our inconsistencies and flaws  so that we can solve it  in way that successfully influences the most people. The rest of the day was spent with my PLC classmates at Kirk Duclaux's house. This Duclaux led barbecue taught me a lesson sent ,through one my advisors, that each moment requires full focus of your attention. Although you'd still have obligations it is necessary that sometimes you take a break. "There's a right time and place for everything." 
Thursday: Today was one of the most relaxed days yet. We took a day trip to Siena "The City of the Virgin." This city's epithet comes from the history of its troubled times where 3 people prayed to the Virgin Mary and the problems ceased. This miraculousness was also represented in the Battle of Montiperdi (sp) in 1260 where the Siennese beat the Florentine army even when all odds were against them. From that day, the Virgin Mary has been the theme of the church; she is often referred to as  "Queen of Heaven" because she has interceded on behalf of Sienna in so many ways. The city was even "wedded" to her. 
Once we reached the central square of Sienna, we were lead to the Museo dell'Opera Metropolitana and the Siena Cathedral, as well as the Church of the San Dominico. My most breathtaking moment came when I stepped into the cathedral as I saw the most breathtaking architecture, marbled floors, and frescos. I felt as though I were looking directly at a picture from the text book. I have been so humbled to be exposed to such creativity and divinely inspired works of art. The specificity and collectivity of all of the proportions and artworks in the church to provide one message and theme blows my mind.  As I leave Sienna headed to Rome, I anticipate visiting the Colosseum tomorrow as I have dreamt of this moment since my middle school years. 

Stammi bene, arrivederci

No comments:

Post a Comment