Sunday, May 17, 2015

Should I Stay {in Arrezzo} or Should I Go?

Overall, Saturday has been an amazing day as I had the opportunity to sleep in and I'm feeling refreshed. (Finally adjusted to the Italian time). I slept way later than I anticipated, but I'm not complaining. Today's agenda called for doing whatever your heart desired; some people took the train to Pisa and others chose to hike and adventure in Stia. I was led to stay in the historic province of Arrezzo and experience the city in it's entirety. During the week, we were only able to see the shop owners but on Saturdays we get to see the elderly couples buying gelato and other groups visiting the museums. My roommate and I decided to begin the morning with a trip to the market which was much different than I imagine but that was my own fault as I allowed my preconceived notions to rule me again. This market wasn't much of a produce provider but more of textile items such as clothing, houseware, and shoes. It was an interesting set up that was similar to a flea market, but it was nice to see the people milling around. It was the skies that opened up as we walked down the crowded, vendor filled street that reminded us that we haven't had breakfast. Looking at the clock that read 12 made me realize that it was time for lunch. We went to a delicious pizzeria and ordered pizza (of course) and a cappuccino. From there we used the rest of the day to visit small shops and boutiques which is where I saw a huge difference in Italian and American culture. When purchasing clothing, I noticed that finding pants and shirts designed for my body type was difficult and that they didn't carry a large quantity of sizes greater than a medium. Italians are notably smaller than Americans. I believe that the American body type is attributed to our carb and refined sugar diets, sedentary lifestyle, and the tendency to be always on the go. In contrast, Italians have smaller portions, transport themselves by walking, and aren't in a rush when it comes to spending time with others and even preparing meals. Walking, I think, is one way that Italy and other European countries surpass the United States. The lack of exercise in our home country has a huge influence on the rise of the percentage of people developing chronic diseases and diabetes. This also comes from the fact that we let media and electronics captivate most of our attention. This trip I have yet to watch television and spend multiple hours on social media. Upon my return to the United States, I will implement my simplistic behaviors that I learned here and apply it there. Coming to Arrezzo has given me the epiphany that it is absolutely necessary to slow down, because life will pass you by and you will never cherish the moments because you're consumed with checking off what to do next on the "to-do" list rather than focusing on each task fully.

Stammi bene, arrivederci

No comments:

Post a Comment