Sunday, May 17, 2015

Don't "Wine" Because You're Not in Italy

Blog Friday
You would think that after the fifth day in a different time zone that I would have adjusted to the change; unfortunately, I have yet to get my circadian rhythm in order. At 8:10 I peeled myself from under the covers to be downstairs dressed and have had breakfast at 8:45a.m to head to class. The festivities of the day commenced with a review of Rondine and how that could be applicable to the students at the University of Oklahoma. I believe that implementing a similar program at the University is great in teaching students to be aware of the diversity and how to integrate;  however, the process in selecting people in a way that Rondine does would limit the population that you would be able to educate and influence. Our recap was interrupted by a visit from the Comitato Aqua Pubblica which is an activist group who's initiative is to displace the control of the water supply business out of the possession of private management and into the hands of the people. With the responsibility of water, a public good, subject to the discretion of private entities, the townspeople pay are being forced to pay high taxes on water but receive a lesser quality not worth the money that's being paid. The apparent problem is that the private industries have taken this control as an opportunity to turn public services into a money making game. It's unethical for these companies to hold such a resource as they cannot relate to the lower and middle class citizens needs for water and then save their money while the "elites" have the ability to unquestionably meet their needs because of their influence and money. Because of this problem, Aqua Pubblica has been lobbying for the change in power. It was in 2007 that the organization was required to get 10,000 signatures to suggest a law against private industries. It was in 2010 when the shift came as the proposition moved up to more important officials and that Aqua Pubblica's law reached a referendum in which they had to obtain and reached a required 1,000,000 signatures in support of the new law. This group's law passed however there was one discrepancy, the policy of the passed agreement did not change; therefore, the legal obligations allow for the private entities to control the water system. 
  Although the issue remains, it has fueled an even greater passion within the people of this organization to put this to a stop. I would have to say that this relates to each one of our lives, sometimes it takes the clip of the last straw to fully exert yourself towards accomplishing something you want as a leader. I honestly believe that if you don't encounter problems and setbacks in your life you won't be able to learn how to persevere or understand the concept of motivation. Life isn't always "a fairy tale" and it's going to take hard work and a willing mind for things to happen. The activist from Aqua Pubblica has the definition of a willing mind as he has chosen to step up and run for mayor, where he would have more influence and a higher chain of command. He said, "let's take retake the services on the community side." The private companies tried to wait out their petitions and lobbying yet this organization still stands awaiting a breakthrough. From this class period, I have seen the definition of determination and dedication. If you are truly advocating change and pursuing something of great value,  a few "nos" and setbacks will not stop you. One over used saying that I love is "it's just a minor setback for a major comeback." I can attest to this for my senior of high school I faced a debilitating stomach condition that caused me to miss sixty plus days of school, quite a few activities, and scholarship opportunities to the point that I wasn't sure that I was going to graduate but I was determined to graduate and be at the University of Oklahoma in the fall. I pushed past my illness. One year later I'm studying abroad with one of the most prestigious freshman groups at the University of Oklahoma. 
 









After class, around 2:30pm, my group, San Fransesco and another; walked to La Stricia, one of the most beautiful vineyards in Arrezzo. The extended and rolling view of vines and green were picturesque. It reminded of how important is that we take time to admire nature. After a tour of the vineyards, we were able to see where the process to make wine takes place and treated to a wine tasting. I figured out that Welch's sparkling grape juice and virgin piƱa coladas are a better suit for me :) I am having such a great time in Italy and I feel as though this trip is giving me the chance to see myself and appreciate the cultural and academic opportunities that I have been fortunate enough to receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment